The National Museum of Fine Arts is the largest and most important public institution of art in Argentina: it houses an extremely diverse heritage, which includes 12,000 pieces, including paintings, sculptures, drawings, engravings, textiles and objects. Its collection is integrated by Argentine and international art, from the 12th century to the present, and has a pre-Columbian art section.
The institution has as objectives to protect, increase and manage the artistic works that make up its collection, as well as promote and disseminate the fine arts in general, in order to guarantee the collective right of access to cultural goods.
It was created in 1895, and opened its doors at Christmas of 1896, fruit of the impulse of the artist and cultural manager Eduardo Schiaffino. In 2016, the 120th anniversary of its inauguration was celebrated.
Currently, the building has three floors, arranged chronologically: on the ground floor, art from the 12th to the 19th century is exhibited; On the first floor, pieces made during the 20th century can be seen, and temporary exhibitions are organized on the second floor and the Pavilion. It was adapted for that purpose in 1932 and, over time, the headquarters underwent several renovations.
Today, the Fine Arts programs itinerant exhibitions as one of the fundamental actions to circulate part of its valuable heritage, granting it greater visibility, expanding the public and decentralizing public policies in the field of visual arts.
The National Museum of Fine Arts is an emblem of national culture, in dialogue between the past and the future.
National museum of fine arts